Costa Rica Photography Workshop
2017Dates: April 2-10, 2017
Extension: April 10-13, 2017
2018Dates: April 7-15, 2018
Extension: April 15-18, 2018
Locations: Best hummingbird and wildlife locations in Costa Rica
Fee: $3,950 USD PP. Single supplement of $500
Limit: 4 photographers
Duration: 8 days/9 nights
Optional Extension: 3 days/ 3 nights – Visiting two additional premier lodges and photographing the Resplendent Quetzal – $1495
Skill Level: Beginner to Pro
Non-Photographers Discount: $250
Trip Leader: Matt Shetzer
Trip Origination: San Jose, Costa RicaRegister Ask Question
Join us on our 9-day photographic adventure through stunning Costa Rica as we capture beautiful images of hummingbirds, birds, toucans, sloths, frogs, flowers and much more.
During the Costa Rica photography workshop, we will share our techniques for creating hummingbird images with flash photography setups as well as natural lighting to ensure you go home with your perfect image. Learn how to freeze the hummingbird’s wings and display all their feather detail. We will show you how to use 6-8 flashes per multi-flash setup controlled by radio triggers to produce an effective shutter speed of 1/10,000 of a second.
Small Groups Only!
The best hummingbird photography is in small groups to maximize your time in the setups. Only 2 photographers per setup on this trip.
During the photo workshop, we will visit 3 of the best hummingbird and bird lodges in Costa Rica to see a variety of species, as well as a local family who has turned their farm acreage into breeding grounds for the colorful Costa Rican frogs.
We also offer a trip extension adding 3 more days in Costa Rica and visiting two more premier lodges and opportunities to photograph the amazing Resplendent Quetzal as well as many other species of hummingbirds.
Topics we will cover:
- Master the Multi-Flash hummingbird light setup
- Balancing flash and natural light
- Natural light techniques for creating sharp and blurred wing images
- Priority exposures vs manual exposure – Benefits of each mode
- Different metering modes
- Techniques for sharp and high quality images
- Learn attractive compositions with local flowers
- Create natural looking images with flash
- Manual flash configuration to gain control
- Remote flash techniques and flash placement
- Focusing techniques for hummingbirds in flight
- Image post processing with Lightroom and Photoshop
- Best Photoshop Plug-ins to speed up post processing
Please take a moment to view some of our hummingbird images and samples.
COSTA RICA PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Hummingbird photography opportunities with maximum field time. There are never more than 4 photographers per guide and never more than 2 photographers per light setup. We don’t do large groups so you are guaranteed to have lots of time to photograph.