Colorado Fall Colors Photo Workshop
2020Dates: September 26 – October 1, 2017
Signup on Waitlist \ Request new trip
Locations: San Juan mountains of Southwest Colorado. Montrose, Ridgway, Ouray, Silverton, Telluride and Marble Colorado
Limit: 3 photographers per guide
Duration: 6 days/5 nights
Skill Level: Beginner to Pro
Trip Leader: Matt Shetzer
Trip Origination: Montrose, ColoradoAsk Questions about the Workshop
Colorado local photographer, Matt Shetzer, will be hosting a unique tour of southwestern Colorado’s fall colors. His local knowledge, combined with a 4×4 Jeep and a small group of just 3 photographers per guide, will take you to places that other photographers just dream of during the Colorado Fall Colors Photo Workshop.
This Colorado Fall Colors Photo Workshop will take you to iconic Colorado locations such as Crystal Mill, Yankee Girl Mine, and Dallas Divide with its stunning views of the 14,150 foot Mt. Sneffels.
These locations are gorgeous themselves, but add in the beautiful yellow, orange and red aspens and you have a photographers’ paradise.
Colorado’s aspens are famous for their stunning gold colors and the southwestern Colorado landscape has some of the most picturesque locations to catch them in their prime.
Whether you are looking to photograph beautiful white snow-capped mountains, the zigzag patterns of split rail fences, lake reflections, or colorful aspen groves, this small and personal tour has a little bit of everything for you.
The end of September provides beautiful weather, and you will enjoy the crisp cool mornings and the rugged beauty of the San Juan mountains each day. The beautiful golden Aspens together with the colorful underbrush provide stunning foreground focal points to capture the beauty of the region.
By keeping our group size extremely small during the Colorado Fall Colors Photo Workshop, we will be able to visit many popular locations in the area, and explore areas where vans, buses and 2-wheel drive cars can’t access. You will enjoy the serenity and the unlimited access to great compositions in these back-country locations.
Locations we will be planning to visit during the Colorado Fall Colors Photo Workshop
- Ridgway, Colorado
- Ouray, Colorado
- Silverton, Colorado
- Marble, Colorado
- Telluride, Colorado
- Iconic Crystal Mill
- Aspen Groves
- San Juan Skyway
- Mining ruins
- Ghost Towns
- Million Dollar Highway
- Owl Creek Pass
- Silver Jack Reservoir
- Ralph Lauren’s Double RL Ranch
- Dallas Divide
Below are some of the locations we have scheduled to photograph during the Colorado Fall Colors Photo Workshop.
The Colorado Fall Colors Photo Workshop is a unique opportunity to explore locations off the beaten path and create beautiful images with your own personal touch. Our discussions will hone your photography skills and you will learn how to get the most out of your camera equipment. It’s also an adventure that will leave you with lasting memories and plenty of pictures to commemorate the experience.
The workshop will start as you are picked up at the Montrose, Colorado airport. We will greet everyone and them embark on the short 45-minute drive to Ridgway, Colorado.
Once settled in the hotel, our home for the week, we will head out for afternoon and sunset shots hoping to capture a beautiful golden sunset over the high mountain peaks with aspens in the foreground. Once the light fades, we will head out to an enjoyable dinner and get to know everyone.
During the week, we adapt our schedule to the weather and tree fall foliage conditions to ensure we obtain the best possible photographs of the landscape.
Each day we will plan a sunrise shot, morning photography, mid-day break, afternoon photography and sunset shots. As we see opportunities with the weather, we will have discussions on different photography techniques and post processing examples.
We will be photographing the rugged vertical mountains in the area, surrounded by the colorful aspens and cross buck fences, iconic Crystal Mill, aspen groves, mining ruins, ghost towns and much more.
As time permits, we will also explore Ophir and Telluride, Colorado. Our Tour schedules are subject to change due to changes in weather or other unforeseen events.
We will head out again this morning for another sunrise shot, checkout of our lodge, and head back to the airport for departures.
The cost of the Colorado Fall Colors Photo Workshop includes all the following amenities:
- 6 days/ 5 nights of lodging in Ridgway, Colorado at centrally located lodge. Double occupancy (Single Occupancy available)
- 4X4 / Jeep transportation for the trip
- Transportation to/from the Montrose Airport to Ridgway, Colorado.
- First night’s welcome dinner in Ridgway, Alaska
- Breakfast while at the lodge
- Instruction in the field with your photographer guide
- Photography classes and workshops on photo editing techniques
- Planning Package including recommendation on the proper camera gear and clothing
- Prior to embarking on your journey, we are happy to provide a free phone consultation with your trip leader, who will give you guidance on what equipment to bring, answer questions about the locale, and give general photography advice to make sure you are ready to capture your dream image.
- We take care of all the trip logistics once guests reach Montrose, Colorado, so the only thing you have to concentrate on is having a fantastic time and capturing beautiful images the beautiful fall colors in the San Juan Mountains
- Transportation to/from Montrose, Colorado
- Alcoholic drinks
- Travel/Cancellation/Emergency evacuation insurance
- Personal Items
You should be in fair physical health. While we will rely on the 4X4 and Jeep to cover the miles. You must be able to walk short distances on dirt roads and improved paths (approximately 100 feet). Walking surfaces are typically dirt and uneven.
We will be at high altitude from 7,000 to 12,000 ft. It is recommended you discuss your travel plans with your doctor prior to coming and drink lots of water during the trip.
If you are concerned about the physical demands of this trip, please contact us and we would be glad to discuss the typical day and options for your needs.
PHOTOGRAPHY SKILL LEVEL
The Colorado Fall Color Photo Workshop is open to all photographers, from beginners to professionals.
Fall temperatures are normally very pleasant this time of year, with lows around 40 degrees Fahrenheit (4 degrees Celsius) and highs of 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 degrees Celsius). While in the Colorado high mountains, weather can change rapidly with chances of snow any month of the year. We always say, “Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.”
Matt Shetzer – Colorado local since 2000 has been photographing the stunning mountains of Southwest Colorado and exploring the remote backcountry of this beautiful state either on foot, by skis or by Jeep. To read more about Matt, click HERE.
While our primary goal is maximum field time, we will take advantage of non-optimal photography conditions to provide photo workshops, discussing the following subjects in detail:
- Achieving the best composition
- Proper exposure for the scene
- Focus techniques for that crisp image
- Filters for the digital age. Split ND filters and polarizers
- Getting the most out of the histogram
- Mastering the modes (when to shoot manual, aperture and shutter priorities)
- Taking images for HDR (High Dynamic Range)
- Image workup techniques with Photoshop and Lightroom. At each workshop, we demonstrate how to work up attendees’ images from scratch, displaying our nondestructive techniques to produce the highest quality image.
- Best Plugins to use
- Color Correction
- Layers and Masks (Masks are targeted adjustments)
- Noise reduction and sharpening techniques
- Lightroom and portfolio management
- Photography discussions – Review select images and discuss which images work and why to expand your skills and move to the next level
Over the course of the Colorado Fall Colors photography workshop you will learn photographic techniques to hone your digital photography skills, learn how to achieve the perfect exposure with the camera and take control of your camera to achieve the sharpest and highest quality images.
CAMERA EQUIPMENT TO BRING
- A wide-angle lens from 24-100 for landscapes
- A telephoto lens from 70-200
- Tripod with a Ball Head
- Polarizer filter
- Graduated Split Neutral Density Filters. 2 or 3 stop with a soft edge is normally preferred
- Cable Release/Wireless Release
- Camera Bag/Backpack
If you need assistance in selecting gear to meet your photography goals just let us know. All guests will receive a detailed planning package to assist in the process prior to the trip.
The magnificent setting provides a spectacular experience for anyone involved in the Colorado Fall Colors workshop. Non-photographers are welcome to join us in the field and join in on all activities with a discount of $250.00.
Read what our fantastic guests are saying about our Photography Workshops. Client Comments
We recommend trip insurance purchased from a third-party operator to protect your travel investment against medical emergencies, attendee trip cancellations, travel delays, and emergency evacuation coverage. All tour cancellations must be submitted in writing and will result in loss of deposit. Full tour fees are non-refundable if cancelled within 90 days prior to start of trip.
To reserve a spot on this tour, we require a $1,000.00 deposit per person that is paid by credit card at the time of registration. Full tour payments must be completed 90 days prior to the start of the tour and are paid by check or bank transfer.
Once the final trip payment has been received, the detailed trip planning documents will be sent to each guest to assist in planning for the best photography workshop.
Our workshops are based upon a first come, first serve basis. Workshop availability will be updated on this page.
If you have any additional questions or would like to speak to us, please contact us at 303-888-2710 and we would be happy to answer your questions.