In November of 2020 I started to build my own backyard observatory. I found a dome that was imported from Australia and purchased it. It took 8 movers to take off the top so I could disassemble it. I then proceeded to dismantle the observatory and go through it with a fine tooth comb, fixing and adjusting all the parts.
In June of 2021 I designed the concrete pad, and had it poured so I could run all my cables under the floor. As I slowly gathered parts to complete the telescope, camera, filters, mount, etc, (during the Covid-19 pandemic and global shortage crisis). I was able to have first light in December of 2021.
During the summer of 2022, I worked on automating the observatory so I could control every aspect from my home. This automation included calibrations, scripted imaging, weather monitoring and full system start up and shut down. By automating many of the tasks normally performed in person, I was able to maximize my imaging time when my targets were in the right spots (and get a little more sleep).
This is certainly a work in progress, and as I continue to learn, I am modifying the system just about every day.
Below is the process of building the observatory.