The Louisbourg Lighthouse, originally completed in 1734, was the first lighthouse site ever established in Canada. The Louisbourg Lighthouse was built forty years before the United States declared independence from Great Britain!
For many years, the Louisbourg Lighthouse was one of the only navigational landmarks on the Canadian coast.
The Louisbourg Lighthouse was constructed to help sailors navigate into the Fortress Louisbourg. The original lighthouse was badly damaged during the final siege of Louisburg in 1758. A second Louisbourg lighthouse was built in 1842 which burnt down in 1922. The lighthouse pictured here, the third built on the site, was completed in 1923 and automated in 1990.
Stock Image #20110726-143442