The Granite Sentry — Originally built in 1871, the Rose Blanche Lighthouse in southwestern Newfoundland is built from granite mined at a nearby quarry. It is easy to see that the granite occurs naturally by looking at the rocky outcrop where the lighthouse stands. In fact, the granite construction blends into the landscape so easily that the seaward sides of the lighthouse had to be painted with red and white stripes to increase visibility.
This photograph shows the Rose Blanche Lighthouse from the shore on a foggy day. The lighthouse was completely enveloped in thick fog shortly after this photograph was taken.
The Rose Blanche Lighthouse uses a fairly uncommon all-in-one design wherein the keeper’s quarters and the light are all located in one structure. The building was renovated and restored to its historic setup in 1999.
Stock Image #20110723-123333