A clear blue day in Nova Scotia is rare, but provides a beautiful backdrop for the scenic lighthouse in Peggy’s Cove.
A lighthouse was first built on the shores of Peggy’s Cove in 1868. The first Peggy’s Point Light used a kerosene lamp and a catoptric reflector to help sailors avoid smashing their ships on the rocky coast. Today, the lighthouse is automated and uses a standard red lighthouse light. Peggy’s Point Light is operated by the Canadian Coast Guard, as it still provides a valuable navigation aid to ships moving through the area.
Peggy’s Point Light is 50 feet tall and stands on an isolated outcropping of rock.
Stock Image #20110611-202903